Friday, January 27, 2012

Oh, so delicious

Recently I've looked for new and tasty ways to eat more vegetables.
And to my surprise one evening on Pinterest (which I am slowly becoming addicted to :D)
I came across my friend Ashley's post of a Green Monster, Spinach Smoothie.


Knowing Ashley I thought it would be a healthy drink, she's an avid runner, and currently getting her Masters to be a Nurse Practitioner, smart chica! I was very opptimistic that it would taste pretty good when I saw it had peanut butter in it, and if you know me you know I LOVE peanut butter!
Ash and I, it's been too long since I've seen this great friend!


Well it turns out that the smoothie is De-licious, and doesn't have any spinach flavor, the spinach takes on the flavor of the banana and peanut butter you combine with it!

Next week I am going to try some different frozen fruit and see how it tastes...


So here it goes, you should give it a try, I have had one for breakfast, 3 different days this week!


Ingredients: Frozen sliced Banana, Peanut butter, Milk (low calorie almond milk),
Vanilla Greek Yogurt, & Spinach.


1 Frozen Banana (slice before freezing), 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter


NEXT: Add 1/2 Cup of Vanilla Greek Yogurt, and 1 Cup of Milk (Vanilla Almond Milk)
Add 4 cups of spinach on top


And blend: I set mine to the Puree setting
Sometimes pulsing it to get all the spinach to combined,
or mixing it to really stir the liquid.




Blend until it is a darker green color and most of the spinach bits are gone.


Pour into a 16-20 oz. glass
I use a straw to drink it, that way I can stir it occasionally. The smoothie tastes like a peanut butter and banana shake, only it is an awesome green color. :)

Ahhhhh, healthy yet tastes good! If you want to check out any of Iowagirleats other reciepes, HERE is a link.

Green Monster, Spinach Smoothie
Serves 1
Ingredients:
1 frozen sliced banana
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 cup 0% Vanilla Greek yogurt (Chobani)
1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze (or other kind of milk)
4 cups baby spinach (or more, or less)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

Nutritional stats:
350 calories, 10g fiber, 21g protein

** My husband and I attended Central College in Pella, Iowa. There was my shout out GO DUTCH!

enjoy.
Liz



1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try this! Anything that can cram 4 cups of spinach into it and manage not to taste like spinach is some kind of miracle!

    ReplyDelete