Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Sweet joys of home

I am sure that all of you have a soft spot for your home town no matter how quaint or industrial its appearance. The memories and people you grew up with are irreplaceable!

I grew up in Mount Vernon, Iowa, a small quaint bedroom community to Iowa City and Cedar Rapids. I have many fond memories of getting to the north side of town on my bike "Where ALL of my friends lived!" and working my first job at the uptown Ben Franklin store where everything was priced with a sticker.

My childhood home, the magnolia tree on the right is one of my favorite things!
A few weeks ago Jon and I went to visit my family as I previously posted HERE.

 On Saturday morning my folks were getting ready to leave on a visit to some friends in Florida, so we went out for brunch uptown before they left for the airport at a newer cafe called Skillet. It is great food, and a cute atmosphere.

These owners certainly had a big vision for the space, because while growing up in MV the cafe was always a dive bar called Randall's and it was not a family friendly place, so I am sure it took a lot of TLC to get it to its clean and vintage looking state.



My husband and dad!

My mom and I :)

YUM!! My mom and I split the Veggie omelet!!

There is a great coffee shop next door called Fuel, they also sell baked goods and have an array of vintage and local handmade goods for sale, which I love!

MV is also known by tourists for the Lincoln Cafe, which is a gourmet restaurant that serves lunch and dinner. A wonderful selection of seasonal foods and you can bring your own wine, for a cork fee.

They have really thought of everything, they own a Wine bar  just up the street so you can have appetizers there and bring your bottle of wine to the cafe when your table is ready.

If you're near eastern Iowa you should check Mount Vernon out lots of fun shops, boutiques, and great food!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While home we also got in a few quick visits with Jon's brother Aaron and his wife Katie! We miss them and their crazy dogs! --Lily their big black lab is at my feet : )


And we had an adventure with our good friends Erik and Amy Triggs at a place that will remain nameless : ) It is just too fun!

Love spending time with my brother Grant and his wife Whitney and the Triggs', God's love is truly in their lives and for that I am grateful!

The Ladies: Amy, me, and Whitney (another sister-in-law!)
 
Amy and Erik!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am looking forward to this weekend though because a new friend who is become a great friend is turning 40!! Wahoo, Tricia Asche, Happy Birthday week!!

Paul and Tricia!
(Jon works with Paul at Bobcat)

I have to get working on her gift....

enjoy,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment